Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Winging it

I met "Jenny" today for my teaching schedule and an overview of how to run the AV equipment in the language lab. Jenny gave me my schedule sheet(in Chinese) and tried to translate it to me with very broken English. She said a number of things that contradicted each other including the times that I am teaching, but I think I have pinned down my schedule. "You are the boss now" she told me. " Teach oral, listening and writing and you come up with class syllabus". The language lab, where I will teach all my classes 8-12am M-Thurs has no A/C or fans. It is one small, hot room...and thats before you get 50 students into it come Monday morning. The computers to operate the AV equip are in Chinese. I tried to memorize what Jenny clicked to run the programs for playing audio feeds and DVD clips. I hope I can figure it all out on Monday. I have each group for 2 hours/week and get to decide how I will teach listening, writing and oral in order to prepare them for the end of year exam. The orientation was amusingly confusing, but I think I am ready to wing it.
I am off to do a little curriculum planning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home