Thursday, February 02, 2006

Communication Consultation Days Are Over

An easy way to get laughs out of my students is to try and say something in Chinese.
Some mornings before class began, I'd walk over to couple students and try out a new expression. Nine out of ten times, I would be met with the same reaction: a blank stare and then "Wait. Ooh..Are you speaking Chinese?"

I have taken note of a recent development in our Chinese language communication abilities (OCLCA) . Previously, when Josh or I wished to communicate with someone in Chinese, there was a process involved:

A: Do you think we should go ask that taxi driver if he knows where Sanfo is?
B: Yeah, that might not be a bad idea. Do you want to do it or do you want me to do it?
A: I don't mind. Here, I'll do it.
B: Okay. Just go say "Sanfo zai nar?"
A: Yeah, I know. I will. (clears throat) Oh wait. Do you think he'll be mad cause we don't want to actually take his taxi? >>>insert any excuse<<<<
B: No, I doubt it.
A: Okay... Oh, shoot, I think that lady is about to get into the taxi. Yep, he's busy now. Hmmm.
B: Should I just go ask that man by the bus stop?
A: Yeah. Go ask him. Or do you want me to do it?
B: Yeah. Sure. If you don't mind. Thanks.
(A takes a moment to get him/herself into the zone/psyched/pumped. A lets out a quick breath and dauntlessly embarks)
B: Nice one. What did he say?
A: (coming back with an exhilarated expression) Huh? Oh. He didn't know.

Very time consuming. But with our recent trip came a change.
A confidence was gained. A barrier was broken. Open the flood gates and let our 30-word vocabulary flow.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home