Friday, May 19, 2006

Breaking up is never easy

This afternoon, in front of a youth hostel in Beijing, we all went our separate ways.

Josh and I set off for the train station leaving the others to finish packing their silk, tea and other souvenirs snugly into suitcases. Jake knows the Chinese word for “airplane”, so I presume they made it to the airport with no problems. At this moment, Mom and Jake should be half way through their flight to Newark. Mom is likely to be snapping pictures of the North Pole through her window on the airplane. I imagine nearby passengers squinting at the burst of light streaming through her window. Jake is reading by the light of the North Pole, waxy earplugs sealed over his ear canals.

Lea Ann will continue to travel in China for a few more days. Tonight she is in Xi’an awaiting tomorrow’s tour of the Terracotta Soldiers.

For the next day or two, I’ll know just what everyone is up to. I can look at my watch and say, “Jake is on a bus to Pasadena” or “Lea Ann is on a flight to Dubai”. We are slowly moving away from each other, but its almost as if I can still see everyone.
Inside my head are neatly divided squares. One is Jake, one is Mom, and one is Lea Ann---each one shows what’s happening in real time. The fourth square is what I’m currently seeing through my eyes. It’s like surveillance cameras, but with the more upbeat vibe of that opening bit on The Brady Bunch. Do you follow?

Real-time-Betsy-cam is going to be dark and boring for the next 9 and half hours.

Good night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to blogging - your readers have missed you while you enjoyed your visitors. (and your mom has been missed, also)

9:12 AM, May 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant post Bets.

10:55 AM, May 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post's headline gave Elizabeth and I heart attacks.

3:16 PM, May 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home