Thursday, September 01, 2005

Slow Day

Today started off slow for me. Josh had a meeting with another teacher and is now at a second interview for teaching English to 8-12 yr olds on the weekends. I took some documents to Mr. Guo so that he can get us working visas. Good news: my bag arrived at the Ji'nan airport yesterday and Mr. Guo is sending a car for it. Sometime this afternoon, after hours of reading FBIB (sooo good), I decided it was time for me to take a little outing by myself. I was all the way to the University's south gate by the time it occured to me that that would mean crossing the street by myself. But I pressed on. I developed an obvious technique. There are always lots of people out, though fewer in the hours after lunch when many are sleeping in vans parked on the road or wherever they can find a place to rest their head in folded arms. I scout out someone crossing in my direction and go stand beside them (about a foot away). Instead of watching the cars, I watch their feet, and mimic their every step and stop. I look like a very conspicuous mark, so I have to laugh at myself while I do it. I know I will need to learn to trust myself to watch the cars/bikes/buses eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home