Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dancing Bear Routine

A week ago, I got a call from a Chinese woman called Susan. She told me that she was from the English department and that there was an English meeting on Tuesday night. I told her I was free and could make it. The last thing she said was: "I will call you back on Sunday and tell you what the topic is."
The topic? I assumed she meant a meeting for English teachers. How else would she have my name and phone number? Josh guessed right away that it might be what his brother, Jake, had experienced a time or two here: 200 students in a lecture theatre and you up front with a microphone and an hour to fill.
When Susan called back on Sunday, I asked her what exactly the meeting was about. She said it was just a chance for some Chinese students to communicate with foriegners and there would be no lecture. Okay, I could handle that. I didn't mind going along on a Tuesday night to chat, as long as I didn't have to prepare anything. After teaching in the morning and taking class in the afteroon, I can't promise my wits will be completely about me come dinner time. Susan came by the apartment to take me to the meeting at 5:30pm. As I put my shoes on, she suggested I give a short performance.
Uh, what kind of performance?
A song or a dance would be fine.
Josh was sitting on the couch, completly amused by the whole thing.
No thanks, I don't think I will perform. I haven't prepared anything and I don't like to sing.
If there is one thing I have learned how to do since I came to China, it is how to say "No". Because of the language barrier, you can't rely on polite and subtle hints that signal that you are not available. You have to say "No"---sometimes two or three times. "No" is essential to keeping some personal time for yourself. Otherwise, you could easily promise all your free hours away to students and strangers who want to "become friends" (practice English).
I made sure that Susan understood me very clearly. We got to the "meeting" and slowly the auditorium filled up with 250 undergraduate students. There was stage with a few chairs set up, a couple of microphones and some bottles of water. Susan introduced me to the hosts of the event and they prepped me on the questions I would be asked. I was at ease and even excited. There was also to be an Australian student and and a Tanzanian student at the Q & A session. The hosts asked us questions about our relationships with our parents, impressions of China and religious beliefs. Then, the students had a chance to ask us some questions. Just about all the questions were for the "American teacher", but Louise (the Austrlian student) felt more qualified to answer a couple of them.

Q (from student in audience): My foriegn teacher is also American. I told her that I like Bon Jovi and she laughed at me. Why did she find that funny?
A: (me standing up with the microphone)...hmmm....well,
A: (Louise seated behind me with no microphone) Because its so gay!!
A: (me again) ...no..I don't think thats it. I'm not sure I can tell you why she laughed. Its fun music to sing along to. Maybe she was envisioning you singing along to "Livin' on a Prayer".

Louise was not afraid to speak her mind. She was especially animated when she spoke about how disgusting she thought the toilets were here and how annoying she found the sound of people cracking sunflower seed shells with their teeth (you see/hear a lot of that around here). In those moments, I was a little embarassed and concerned that all the students would see us as the same person because we looked and sounded alike.
But, they loved her performance. Yes, Louise had prepared a short Chinese song to perform and she got a standing ovation. In fact, she said many amusing things that scored generous laughter and applause from the audience.
With all of the special attention foriegners get around here, you could really get the wrong idea about yourself. As we left the auditorium, students caught up with us and asked for phone numbers and to pose for photos. Susan held my water bottle while I wrote my email address in loads of little notebooks and stood for some photos. It can be quite the head trip.

With Josh's permission, I get to be the bearer of some rather exciting news of his. His boss at the Australian school has been really impressed with the progress he has made with the students and the suggestions he has made for the course. They asked to help write an ESL text book and to sign a contract to work full time with them from Sep '06-July '07. He has officially signed the contract. So there you have it. Just like that, he has enthusiastically committed to another year in Jinan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home