Friday, September 02, 2005

Guest Editorial

Dear Friends,
It's with great pleasure that I've accepted this opportunity to post on Betsy's blog as it seems to be the perfect sort of mid-level step for someone who isn't quite equal to the task of launching their own. In watching Bets keep this thing up, I can't help but admire her pluck at keeping it going with almost daily posts. A lesser person would no doubt get bored at some point and let the blog go by the wayside or at least alienate a number of friends or relatives with indelicate posts. I'm not sure if I was put in the same position that I'd be nearly so responsible. Nonetheless, I'll take a stab at it. If successful I might one day have a blog of my own. Who knows, if I can handle a blog Bets might even let me have a puppy. Sky's the limit.
The big news around the apartment block is today's foreign teacher's barbecue. Held in the little courtyard just outside our door, we've been told that a pretty respectable guest list of 38 has been assembled. The whole shebang is organized by Ed: the doctorate 20 year veteran of ESL instruction, and ex-World Cup rugby referree. Incidentally, he's originally from New Jersey if any of you can sense that one out. For those of you who've been following these posts Ed's also the one who took us to lunch yesterday. He then fed us enough meat and green beer to keep our stomachs reeling still 24-hours later. I ought not have ate so much but it was being served Brazilian style to us off skewers by guys wearing blue-jeans and cowboy hats with the Chicago Bulls logo on them(?). This seems to be Ed's idea of a good time (meaty, beery, and strange) and it makes me a little apprehensive about how my stomach will feel after this party.
Well, the party draws near and I've taken too much of your time already. Thanks for your tolerance and if anyone is familiar with Thurber's "My Life and Hard Times" I would love the exact wording for a quote that reads roughly: "No man was ever born in Columbus who was posessed of an adventurer's spirit." Here here.
Joshua Burt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home