Monday, September 05, 2005

Knackered

Forgive me if this entry is written in simple English. I have been speaking it all day, and fear I may return home speaking it. I have learned to cut out everything I say that is unnecessary and possibly confusing. I had two classes full of computer scientists today from 8am-12pm and they went great. Most of the students were shy when introducting themselves, but not at all in their writing. Today we did introductions so I could gauge the average speaking level and at the end of class, they wrote a few prompted paragraphs and turned them into me. It has been a pleasure reading what they wrote. I think being a teacher is going to be like being the ultimate student. I will have to be supremely organized. I already have over 60 short essays to keep track of. I wish I had thought ahead to bring a gradebook from home. Its funny how slowly things occur to me sometimes. For example: I didn't realize I was going to have to teach English. You may be thinking that sounds crazy. And it does. Somehow, I guess I thought my presence in the classroom would somehow magically transfer the English language. Today, I was speaking and looking out at a sea of blank stares when it suddenly dawned on me: Wow, there is a lot of English learning that needs to take place here this year! I want them to get good grades on their end of year exam....and its up to me to be a successful teacher. Gasp!
I am up for the challenge.
In other news, I am crossing streets like a pro. And I will never it again--as I think I filled up three detailed entries with the topic early on. I just wanted you all to know that these days, I cross like I've lived here all my life. I walked back from work on the South Campus today. It took me about an hour. I met a tall read-headed Israeli who is here looking for work with his wife. We met crossing the street. (okay, that was honestly the last time). There is an unspoken langauge between foreigners here. Obviously, we all stick out. The question is do you smile and say "hello" because you have spotted each other, or just walk on by. Some foreigners who have lived here for a while, I assume, make it clear that they don't want to share a knowing glance with you simply because we are laowai--- outsiders. They do this by keeping their head down when they pass. Others, maybe new to China and still in shock, will make good eye contact and say a releived "Hi there". I try to be discrete about looking at other laowai. I don't want to look anxious for a hello, yet I don't want to seem unwelcome to the idea of a hello. Do you follow? Didn't take me long to slip back into my convoluted English ramblings, did it?
I was minding my own business, acting oblivious to the fact that I was next to a tall red-headed white man admist thousands of Chinese when Noam, the Isreali, made some comment about pesky road construction and then asked me if I was teaching or studying here. We stopped at a Newsstand on the way home so he could buy an Anime magazine and I was positvely jealous listening to him have a conversation in Chinese with the woman at the newsstand. I am becoming deflated in my efforts to learn the language. Everytime I think I have mastered a phrase and try it out on someone Chinese, I get a bewildered look in response. Arg! I have cancelled my lesson with Sharon tomorrow until I have more time to practice what we went over Friday.
I am exhausted, but need to go out in search of a grade book and red pen. Where has the day gone?

1 Comments:

Blogger SkiTheStars said...

Did you say you needed a Grade Book ?

You might want to try the "Rolling GradeBook." You can see it at www.swland.org.

You'll note that it tracks missing assignments and allows for posting of scores with easily changable code names for each student. You can zap the summaries to a website or the classroom wall, whatever works. You sound very world wise for a new teacher, best of luck !

I may have something useful for you at my website. It is a gradebook template written for Excel/Star Office, and may help you get a bit less drained. I am making it available to new teachers at $4/copy, including shipping and everything. The product is "Rolling GradeBook." I am Douglas Keachie, a semi-retired teacher in the Sierra Foothills. My goal is de-stressing teachers, one grade book at a time. :)

cheers,

Doug

12:49 PM, September 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home