Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Family Comes to China

The flight back to China went just as I predicted. We stowed our carryon baggage, keeping the essentials in the seat pocket—Sudoku, Oprah Magazine, and I-pod for me--- unwrapped blue airplane blankets and stuffed little white pillows into any space still available. Once we were finally situated, Mom sighed---half nostalgic for the week that had just passed and half relieved that she could finally relax.

Jake immediately whipped out a piece of blank paper and started to make notes of some basic phrases he wanted to learn in Chinese before our arrival.

I understood bits and pieces of the flight announcements made in Chinese and felt a sense belonging on the flight. Off to China, a destination where I never expected to live and suddenly I couldn’t imagine my life without it. I couldn’t wait to show off my China.

With all the in-flight entertainment, meals and naps I didn’t even pick up a Sudoku until we were taxing to the gate in Beijing. When you are excited to get somewhere, that final stretch always feels like it takes the longest.

At the arrivals gate, Lea Ann was waiting—a vision in pink and khaki. We found a spot of tea, for a price that nearly gave me heart failure, and heard stories of Lea Ann’s journey from Baghdad, which included an after-curfew departure in an armored car and apache helicopters. We sipped fine tea as Lea Ann told us about kicking it with Vince Vaughn and Jeb Bush, mortars and car bombs, pool parties, dust storms and 130-degree temperatures. Most importantly, she assured us that she feels safe and she has a lot of fun out there. Its nice to think of the troops getting a chance to take their minds off war, missing family and hot temperatures with an event planned by Lea Ann and her staff.

When we finally arrived at the apartment in Jinan that night, we found Josh curled up in a ball determined not to mess up the immaculately clean floors that had taken him days to complete.
















The next few days were so much fun and they passed way too quickly.

My students were beside themselves with excitment to meet the family. Can you spot Jake in the photo below? One man was convinced Jake was part Chinese.



















On Tuesday, my students had a highly acclaimed guest lecturer, Josh. The rest of us headed to the home of Confucious--Qufu.


In Jinan, we introduced our friends and our favorite dishes to Lea Ann, Mom and Jake. The family even through caution to the wind and exhibited such "risky" behaviors as eating street food. Mmm!

We hit all the popular desintations in Jinan including the square and 1000 Buddha Mountain where Jake led us in some of his own unique Tai Chi-type exercises.

I took Mom and LeaAnn to my facial/foot massage spot where they experienced pain and laughter.





















At night, I walked the famliy back over to the campus hotel which was rumored to have HBO. Jake turned on the TV to show me, but look who was on TV! Ha ha, what a coincidence! The family never let me live down one of my cheesy lines, but I hope this trip proved to them that "convenient" is a good word to know!













My students are still requesting that I email them photos of Jake.


On the last night, we had dinner with my tutor, Sharon (in green). The timing was bad, because I was fresh out of Chinese dishes that I knew how to say. The true extent of my Chinese language comprehension was revealed!!!!


Next stop: a city rumored to be like ten New York City's----Shanghai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home